[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] Reminder: 3.6 branch is coming

David Chisnall David.Chisnall at cl.cam.ac.uk
Sat Jan 10 09:58:16 PST 2015

On 10 Jan 2015, at 17:35, Dimitry Andric <dimitry at andric.com> wrote:

> It looks like the interpretation of what "__STDC_MB_MIGHT_NEQ_WC__" means differs between the llvm developers and the FreeBSD developers.  I'm not sure what a good solution is.

I've just read the relevant parts of the C11 spec, and it's not really clear to me what the 'basic character set' is.  There are two possible interpretations:

- The set of characters that can be represented by a char in locale "C"
- The set of characters that can be represented by a char in *any* locale

On FreeBSD, it is correct to define __STDC_MB_MIGHT_NEQ_WC__ for the second definition, but not for the first.  Can anyone point to something in the spec that clarifies this?

David