[cfe-dev] Questions about code reviews and static analysis tools for TU Delft research

David Blaikie dblaikie at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 08:11:40 PST 2015

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 2:52 AM, Radjino Bholanath <
R.M.R.Bholanath at student.tudelft.nl> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm doing research on code reviews and static analysis tools at the SERG
> group (http://swerl.tudelft.nl/bin/view/Main/WebHome) of the Delft
> University of Technology. Currently, we want to give an overview of the
> usage of code review and static analysis tools in open source projects.
> Therefore, I would be very happy to know a little bit more about how code
> reviews are used in Clang and if (and maybe how) static analysis tools are
> used. I have a couple of questions for anyone willing to answer:
>
> 1. Do all developers (contributors and core developers) have to submit a
> code review for every change? I’m asking because many projects only review
> changes made by contributors.

Not exactly (& not sure what definition of 'contributor' you are using).
Pre-commit review is used by anyone who doesn't have commit rights and used
at best judgment by those who do (if you're committing to an unfamiliar
area, or a large/contentious patch, you might send it for review even
though you have commit access). Post-commit review happens on everything
(we just reply to auto-generated commit emails with any extra feedback we
have) though it's not enforced in any way. (nothing checks that every
commit is actually reviewed)

> 2. Which code review tools are used?

Email and sometimes Phabricator.

> 3. Are static analyzers used? If they are used:

Not really

>   a. Is passing the checks of the static analyzers necessary for a change
> to be accepted?

No

>   b. Which static analyzers are used?

I don't think we have any bots running any SA systems, but I guess some
people run them manually from time to time and cleanup things.