[cfe-dev] Fwd: Weird linking problem on Windows

Larisse Voufo lvoufo at google.com
Fri Feb 20 17:19:16 PST 2015

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 1:09 AM, İsmail Dönmez <ismail at donmez.ws> wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 8:09 PM, İsmail Dönmez <ismail at donmez.ws> wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 7:40 PM, Reid Kleckner <rnk at google.com> wrote:
> >> The operator delete missing symbol has to do with some sized operator
> delete
> >> C++14 dust that hasn't settled yet. We used to emit an implicit weak
> >> definition of sized operator delete, but that caused ELF linkers to
> pull in
> >> more static archive members causing link failures, so we recently
> stopped
> >> doing it. We should probably revert the default back to emitting a weak
> >> definition.
> >
> > Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.
>
> Larisse, any comment on this? It would be nice to unbreak c++14 on Windows.

It turns out that there is really no good way to make the weak definitions
option work reliably.
So, we are in a bit of a tough spot for now... You can still use the weak
definitions options with
"-Xclang -fdefine-sized-deallocation" or turn the feature off completely
with
"-Xclang -fno-sized-deallocation". A much better option is to link to a
library that actually
implements sized delete.
I understand that none of these options are ideal, but that's what we have
at the moment. :-/

-- Larisse.