[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] RFC: Replace __cxa_begin_catch/__cxa_end_catch with intrinsics

Reid Kleckner rnk at google.com
Mon Feb 2 18:04:20 PST 2015

I actually like the unified intrinsic approach here. The backend already
has to know things about the personality function. Until recently we would
assume that the personality function wants an Itanium LSDA, for example,
and dump that out into a target-specific section. Now on Windows we look at
the personality function and try to figure out what kind of preparation and
tables it wants.

It seems reasonable then that we could continue along the lines of
classifying some personalities as "Itanium" personalities and lowering
these new intrinsics out to __cxa_begin_catch / end_catch. We already do it
for resume -> _Unwind_Resume.

I think this is better than relying on the target to "know" what wants,
which is what we have today with SjLj vs. CFI-driven EH. IMO it would be
cleaner if the backend knew that __g??_personality_sj0 meant it should run
the SjLjEHPrepare pass.

What do you think?