[cfe-dev] About gpucc and clang

Eli Bendersky via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Dec 28 14:21:14 PST 2015

On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 1:30 PM, Guray Ozen (BSC) via cfe-dev <
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Sorry if this email is off topic. I'm quite new here.
>
> Recently I came across with gpucc[1] open-source cuda compiler. I'm
> wondering that is it same thing compiling CUDA with clang[2], or it's a
> something branch of clang front-end ?

gpucc is using Clang and LLVM, and most of it has already made it into LLVM
and Clang upstream. Especially the LLVM parts (optimizations) are all
there. As you found, link [2] provides some details on how to use it.
Upstreaming work is still ongoing. There are many patches running for this
on cfe-commits, for example
http://llvm.org/viewvc/llvm-project?rev=253389&view=rev and others (note
most of them have [CUDA] in the subject, so it's each to search for).

> Because I can see its optimizations codes at NVPTX backend target / LLVM.
> Also as I understood, it's doing all optimizations in the LLVM-IR level. Is
> there any truth to something ?

Optimizations are done in the various LLVM stages, mostly LLVM IR. The
device-side product is PTX, which the NVIDIA driver further optimizes and
lowers to GPU-specific ISA.

Eli