[cfe-dev] ___atomic_XXX operations in libcxx for Sparc

Vladimir Voskresensky - Oracle via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Dec 22 00:59:41 PST 2015

Hello Chris,

I've asked an engineer from Oracle to answer:
http://clang-developers.42468.n3.nabble.com/atomic-XXX-operations-in-libcxx-for-Sparc-td4049158.html
but reply is not propagated back to this list, so here you are:
==========

Hi,

I'm assuming you are talking about porting LLVM to Solaris SPARC.

The library support for C++11 atomics feature is already available on Solaris
11. It is in a separate library called libatomic.so in /usr/lib though. You
could try if this solves your immediate problem.

This library is not a Solaris system library, it comes from GCC 4.8. So you may
need to install some GCC runtime library packages. If LLVM depends on this
library, it is vulnerable to an ABI change, is it why you think there could be
resistance? There is some effort going to to standardize the ABI of this
library, not sure if you are interested?

The sized version (with a _n suffix) can also be implemented by back-end
generating inlined code because all of them can be implemented with lock-free
instructions, so it does not need locks or other meta data supported by a
runtime library.

Thanks,
- Bin

=========