[cfe-dev] libc++ supporting older compilers

Chandler Carruth via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Dec 21 20:22:34 PST 2015

FWIW, for the few users I support who care about C++03 mode, it would
actually be a significant feature to turn off all C++11 emulation in libc++
and to present as close to a pure C++03 environment as possible. Those
users have *some* environments they support which are functionally C++03
and they are setting the C++03 mode to try and detect problems sooner when
building and testing with the nice modern Clang+libc++ (or GCC+libc++)
toolchain they have in their main development environment. I wonder if
ceasing to emulate so much of C++11 library features (and language
features!!! nullptr for example!) when building in C++03 would help with
this.

Relatedly, I think you could require a C++11 implementation to build libc++
itself and merely support C++03 parsing of the headers (and subsequent
linking of that object code with the library). That might allow you to
maintain a single ABI of the built library even as you switch between C++03
and C++11 usage of the library.