[cfe-dev] libc++ supporting older compilers

Craig, Ben via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Dec 21 07:19:40 PST 2015

On 12/19/2015 2:44 PM, Renato Golin wrote:
> On 18 December 2015 at 14:30, Craig, Ben via cfe-dev
> <cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>> Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (precise), released Apr-26-2012: GCC 4.6.3
>> Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (trusty), released Apr-17-2014: GCC 4.8.2
> Previous LTS is deprecated when a new LTS comes along, so no one
> should have to worry about 12.04 in this day and age.
>
> Is there any one that this is important?
12.04 may be deprecated, but it's still supported by Ubuntu until April
2017.  There are plenty of IT departments that would be hesitant to roll
out full OS upgrades once every two years.

Regardless, I don't build libcxx with the system GCC, I build with
Clang.  So long as libcxx can target libc from the 12.04 (and maybe even
10.04!) era, then I won't be personally affected.