[cfe-dev] Trouble Building the Clang-Format VS plugin

scott constable via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Dec 7 13:45:38 PST 2015

Hi All,

According to the "Clang - Getting Started" guide, only Visual Studio 2013
and newer are supported as clang build environments. However, the README
for clang-format-vs states:

Build prerequisites are:
- Visual Studio 2012 Professional
- Visual Studio 2010 Professional
- Visual Studio 2010 SDK.

The extension is built using CMake by setting BUILD_CLANG_FORMAT_VS_PLUGIN=ON
when configuring a Clang build, and building the clang_format_vsix target.

After following the directions in the README, I try to build
clang_format_vsix in VS2015, I get the following error:

Solution file
'C:\Users\Work\llvm\tools\clang\tools\clang-format-vs\ClangFormat.sln' is
from a previous version of this application and must be migrated in order
to build in this version of the application. To migrate the solution, open
the solution in this version of the application.

When I open ClangFormat.sln in VS2012 (ClangFormat.sln is a VS2012
solution), it complains that it doesn't support ClangFormat.csproj (because
ClangFormat.csproj is a VS2010 project), so I have no idea how to build
this.

Any help would be much appreciated.

~Scott Constable