[cfe-dev] strange behavior when compile with -fvisibility-inlines-hidden flag

Richard Smith via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Dec 2 16:15:45 PST 2015

On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 4:11 PM, Richard Smith <richard at metafoo.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 1:41 AM, Weitian Leung via cfe-dev <
> cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Consider the following code (full source code can be found in attachment)
>>
>> object.h
>>
>> #define _DESTRUCTOR_IN_HEADER
>>
>> class Object
>> {
>> public:
>>     Object();
>> #ifdef _DESTRUCTOR_IN_HEADER
>>     ~Object()
>>     {
>>     }
>> #else
>>     ~Object();
>> #endif
>>
>> private:
>>     class Counter
>>     {
>>     public:
>>         Counter()
>>             : _count(0)
>>         {
>>             printf("Counter: %p %d\n", this, _count);
>>         }
>>
>>         ~Counter()
>>         {
>>             printf("~Counter: %p %d\n", this, _count);
>>         }
>>
>>         void operator++()    { ++_count; }
>>         void operator--()    { --_count; }
>>
>>     private:
>>         int _count;
>>     };
>>
>>     class Foo
>>     {
>>     public:
>>         Foo() { ++counter(); }
>>         ~Foo() { --counter(); }
>>
>>     private:
>>         Counter& counter()
>>         {
>>             static Counter s_counter;
>>             return s_counter;
>>         }
>>

> When you use -fvisibility-inlines-hidden, you give this function hidden
> visibility, so each DSO gets its own copy of the function. We also give
> each DSO its own copy of each inline function's static local variables.
> Thus the Object::Object() constructor in your shared library increments one
> counter, and the Object::~Object() destructor in your main binary
> decrements a different counter.
>
> GCC appears to not make the static local variable hidden when it makes the
> surrounding function hidden. That makes sense, since
> -fvisibility-inlines-hidden is supposed to not change the semantics of the
> program unless you're comparing addresses of inline functions.

It also looks like this may have changed since the flag was originally
designed.

https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Visibility says "However,
-fvisibility-inlines-hidden can be used with no source alterations, unless
you need to override it for inlines where address identity is important
either for the function itself *or any function local static data.*"
(Clearly this is somewhat bogus: if the addresses of function local statics
are different, their contents may also be different.)

https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/C_002b_002b-Dialect-Options.html says:
"This switch declares that the user does not attempt to compare pointers to
inline functions or methods where the addresses of the two functions are
taken in different shared objects. [...] The behavior of this switch is not
quite the same as marking the methods as hidden directly, because it *does
not affect static variables local to the function* or cause the compiler to
deduce that the function is defined in only one shared object."

In any case, this is a Clang bug.