[cfe-dev] [Analyzer] Attempting to speed up static analysis

Ted Kremenek via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Aug 27 23:20:50 PDT 2015

Hi Ben,

Great points, and I’ve provided responses inline.

> On Aug 27, 2015, at 1:31 PM, Ben Craig <ben.craig at codeaurora.org> wrote:
>
> Thanks Ted.  Great information.  I was hoping you would chime in J
>
> RE: FoldingSet
> Some of the reasons that I’m asking about de-duplication is that I’ve already attempted to change things in some reckless experiments.   My quick-and-dirty attempts at removing the ExplodedGraph cache “worked” (for some value of working) and was faster, but the analysis quality was lowered enough that check-clang failed.  I made a few feeble attempts at being selective with de-duplication, but those haven’t worked out either.
>
> I have had some success with forking + modifying llvm::FoldingSet.  Instead of hashing in terms of a FoldingSetID, I just have a trait with a Hash and an Equals method.  This gives me a lot more flexibility in calculating the hash more quickly.  I even went as far as caching the hash on the ExplodedNode itself.  This is looking like it will result in a ~9% speedup, at the cost of an extra 4 bytes per ExplodedNode, and the (possibly temporary) maintenance burden of an extra FoldingSet class.

I’ll be honest that an extra 4 bytes per ExplodedNode does make me cringe, but maybe that is not so bad.  I’m totally fine with ditching FoldingSetNodeID; that was just a way to get some hashing based on a mechanism already in place in LLVM.

It may be more profitable to put the cached hash in ProgramState.  Conceptually, ExplodedNode is just a <ProgramState, ProgramPoint> pair, and both ProgramPoint and ProgramState should be independently hashable.  ProgramPoints should be quickly hashable on their own, but ProgramStates are very expensive to both hash and semantically compare.  That’s why we do all sorts of uniquing with the ImmutableMaps so that we can often use referential identity in some places to provide semantic identity, even thought he referential identity of the underlying ImmutableMap objects doesn’t actually matter.

> I’ve considered trying to use a b-tree instead of a hash map.

Just for clarification, which hash map are you talking about?

>   If (and that’s a big if) I can find / construct a small comparison key that is accurate and encourages good access locality, then I think it may end up being a more cache friendly structure than the hash map.  I think that the insertions and lookups happen ‘near’ each other in terms of the AST, so I think the cache-friendliness can likely outweigh the downgrade from O(1) to O(lg n).  But that does all hinge on making a small accurate comparison key.
>
> RE: ImmutableMap
> I’m going to rephrase what you said to check for my own understanding.
> Instead of ImmutableMap, a naïve implementation could have stored a std::map (or some other associative container) instead.  Doing so would get the same quality of analysis.  However, it would use a lot more memory, and the allocations would be slower, since they would be using the system / mallocator instead of the bump allocator.  The ImmutableMap is taking advantage of the fact that the program state changes in little bits and pieces, instead of being drastically different from one node to the next.  The ImmutableMap allows multiple ExplodedNodes to share most of the common program state elements, without mutating the old elements.
>
> If that is accurate, then I can definitely see why an ImmutableMap is being used here.  I’ll have to think more about what can change.  I’ll also keep finger search trees in mind.

Just to be clear, it’s mostly about semantics.  The allocations using a bump allocator is gravy, because we allocate so many ImmutableMap.

A ProgramState, which itself is an immutable value, contains a bunch of ImmutableMaps to represent things like bindings of variables to values, constraints on symbols, and so on.  You don’t mutate an ImmutableMap at all; you create a new ImmutableMap from an existing one, and they share state for the purpose of efficiency.  That memory sharing between ImmutableMap values is purely an (important) optimization; what is most important is the semantics.

When you add a value to an std::map, that map changes in place.  If two ProgramStates had the same std::map, then adding a value to that std::map would change multiple ProgramStates, which is not what we want at all.  Indeed, a common mistake that people make when making changes to the analyzer or writing checkers is using mutating data structures (e.g., DenseMap) when they are in a context where immutable values are needed.

We could conceptually use std::map in the same places we used ImmutableMap, and even have sharing of std::maps between ProgramState values, but we would need to do some kind of copy-on-write when changing the maps for a ProgramState so that it did not change the underlying values of another ProgramState.  This is entirely doable, but essentially would re-implement much of the core semantics of ImmutableMap.  ImmutableMap also can have maps of maps, all composing to preserve immutability, which is really important.  If you try building that all on top of std::map directly you can have a big house of cards that is hard to get semantic integrity in the analyzer core.

> RE: General scalability
> For now, I am just trying to make the existing 150,000 iterations provide the same quality in less time.  Longer term, it may make sense for me to look at things like the summary based algorithm.

That is totally fine, and a great place to start.  Even a constant factor improvement will make a big impact in practice.

>   One other hand-wavey approach that I’ve considered is to save off a file with an intermediate analysis state, so that future analysis runs can reuse the parts of that analysis that haven’t changed.  Both of those are going to need to wait until I’ve gotten more familiar with the code base.

I think this is all great, but please when making changes keep into account the memory overhead.  I put a fair amount of tweaking into the current uses of ImmutableMap, including how aggressively we reclaim ExplodedNodes, based on tuning for memory usage.  Changes in core representation of these data structures, or even minor algorithmic tweaks, can have a huge impact on memory.  I even changed some of the balancing heuristics for the AVL tree so that the trees for the ImmutableMaps would be slightly less balanced at the benefit of using up less memory in practice.

To put it into context, suppose we made a change that caused the analyzer to use 10MB more memory on a complicated translation unit (this isn’t a totally unrealistic number for very complicated files).  If we had 8 cores each doing static analysis, that’s 80MB additional memory being used for static analysis on a machine.  As 10MB goes to 20MB, 20MB goes to 30MB, you can quickly see how much that additional memory overhead really matters.  And the problem tends to be more pronounced on machines with more cores, with don’t always have the same amount of memory per core as machines with fewer cores.

Cheers,
Ted