[cfe-dev] clang-format: Multiple statements in line

Maurizio Vitale via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Aug 26 10:15:35 PDT 2015

I cannot speak for the developers, but adding a features -- even when it is
not default -- has a cost in that you now have to make sure that it keeps
working properly in face of future developement. And once you start
allowing this you end up having a multitude of settings all not enabled by
default that needs to be crosschecked.
Furthermore, people who contribute their own feature tend to disappear and
not maintain it against new features. So we end up having either to ask the
implementer of the new features to maintain this odd feature that has been
orphaned or somebody else has to adopt it.

So in short, I think only features that are widely useful should get in
(default or not) and I agree on the bar: if it is something that a widely
distributed and used style guide recommends, it should be considered. In
this particular case, my take is that multiple statements on the same line
is something most style guides would discourage (or at most be silent
about). Except in the special case of a for loop, clearly.