[cfe-dev] [RFC] AlwaysInline codegen

Evgenii Stepanov via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Aug 20 17:19:00 PDT 2015

Hi,

There is a problem with the handling of alwaysinline functions in
Clang: they are not always inlined. AFAIK, this may only happen when
the caller is in the dead code, but then we don't always successfully
remove all dead code.

Because of this, we may end up emitting an undefined reference for an
"inline __attribute__((always_inline))" function. Libc++ relies on the
compiler never doing that - it has lots of functions in the headers
marked this way and does _not_ export them from libc++.so.

Current implementation in clang emits alwaysinline+inline functions as
available_externally definitions. The inliner is an SCC pass, and as
such it does not process unreachable functions at all. This means that
AlwaysInliner may leave some alwaysinline functions not inlined. If
such function has an available_externally linkage, it is not emitted
into the binary, and all calls to it are emitted as undefined symbol