[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] code coverage instrumentation

Moshtaghi, Alireza Alireza.Moshtaghi at netapp.com
Mon Apr 13 18:07:12 PDT 2015

Hi Justin,
Thanks for your response,
Your suggestion works, though as you have also suggested, would be great
value if an option is added to put the coverage data into a separate file.
Our build considers some of the hardware limitations and would not build a
full object file with both instructions and mapping data if they get too
big.
In addition, building two large systems which do the same thing would be a
big waste.

I would think that if an option is added to the compiler, it would also
require an absolute filepath which will be appended by the compiler with
the coverage information from each new compilation unit right? Or you are
thinking of another way? Hypothetically if the coverage info is saved in
elf format, llvm-cov could read it without modification right?

Nevertheless, It might be a useful thing for others as well, so would it
be possible that you add it to the tree? Or if you give me some pointers,
I can implement them and send the patch.

An alternative would probably be tweaking the linker to create two files
instead of one which would be kind of a hack IMHO.

Thanks
Ali