[cfe-dev] Expression Templates for AST matchers

Sean Silva chisophugis at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 15:26:05 PDT 2015

Although I'm mostly an armchair spectator right now w.r.t. clang tooling
stuff, I think that use cases like clang-query and in general the dynamic
AST matchers suggests that expression templates aren't a very good solution
because they will require reimplementing things from scratch for the
"dynamic" case.

Regardless, I don't think that the primary bottleneck is not doing enough
at compile time (of the matchers). Rather we aren't effectively indexing
the underlying data set we are trying to query (right now, we're more like
grep and less like google). Indexing starts paying off once you have to do
multiple queries* and can amortize the indexing cost across all those
queries. I think most uses for clang-tidy have enough ast matching in them
for indexing to pay off. Note that indexing doesn't have to return results
immediately; it just needs to prune the search space enough to pay off (a
good example is using a trigram index to prune the search space for regexp
matching http://swtch.com/~rsc/regexp/regexp4.html).

* "multiple" here also scales numerically with the number of TU's. An index
can avoid visiting certain TU's at all in many cases.

-- Sean Silva