[cfe-dev] Effectively Debugging Clang

Amila Jayasekara thejaka.amila at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 10:34:06 PDT 2014

Hello,

I am having a more general question related to debugging clang.

I start gdb (in MacOS) as follows;

>ggdb clang++
(ggdb) run -cc1 -std=c++11 -stdlib=libc++
-I/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/lib/c++/v1
test1.cpp

In most of the time during debugging session I am unable to evaluate and
print values of a certain variable. Sometimes my debugger freezes for long
time, sometime i get a segmentation faults.

For example if I execute following on a  QualType variable I get a
segmentation fault.

(gdb) p FnRetType.getAsString()
line 1: 39759 Segmentation fault: 11  ggdb
/Users/thejaka/development/crest/pxc/llvm/350/Debug+Asserts/bin/clang++

So my question is, what are the techniques you use to effectively debug
clang ? and how can I overcome crashes like above ?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Regards
Thejaka Amila