Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Wed Sep 24 07:21:32 PDT 2014

Yaron Keren <yaron.keren at gmail.com>
writes:

Hello Yaron,

> The question is should llvm start using <thread> and <mutex> when
> mingw+win32 threads does not support these.
>
> What is the reason to use mingw+win32 threads instead of mingw+pthreads
> which does support the above?

My understanding is that Chandler is talking about the difficulties of
supporting MinGW because its dependence on winpthreads (wich does not
provide a functional <thread> etc). It seems that Chandler is not aware
of the existence of mingw-w64+pthreads, because both mentioned use cases
(not depending on MSVC++ and cross-compiling from other OS) are
perfectly ok with mingw-w64+pthreads.

So I see Chandler's question as a proposal for ditching MinGW(-w64)
support, sorry if that interpretation was wrong.

We have discussed MinGW support on the past and the consensus what that
the right thing is to switch to MinGW-w64. If we refine the requirement
as MinGW-w64+pthreads, that looks reasonable to me.