[cfe-dev] RFC: switch default C language mode from gnu99 to gnu11

Robinson, Paul Paul_Robinson at playstation.sony.com
Fri Oct 17 08:51:08 PDT 2014

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 7:07 PM, Richard Smith <richard at metafoo.co.uk<mailto:richard at metafoo.co.uk>> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 5:17 PM, Robinson, Paul <Paul_Robinson at playstation.sony.com<mailto:Paul_Robinson at playstation.sony.com>> wrote:
There would be some period of pain while smoking out the tests that actually did depend on the older dialect.  As a data point, when Sony privately switched to default to C++11, we added –std to something like 100-150 tests to get them to pass again, but the rest were all fine.

That's an interesting datapoint. Did you find any bugs in this process, or were all the changes between C++98 and C++11 modes things like extension warnings going away?

It was two years ago, maybe more, memory fades... Certainly there were cases where the set of diagnostics changed and that was obviously the right fix, but IIRC there were other cases not so clear-cut and I'd have to go look at them all more closely.  I can try to spend some free time reconstructing this.

Do you care about ObjectiveC++ as well as C++?  I know we had to stick -std on some .mm files to get them to pass.  We honestly didn't (still don't) know anything useful about ObjectiveC++ and if -std made the problem go away we didn't give those a second thought; and I'm pretty sure -std always made the problem go away.

(And if we really want to pursue this it should probably fork off into its own thread.)
--paulr