[cfe-dev] source code rewriting for invalid ast nodes

Manuel Klimek klimek at google.com
Thu Oct 9 06:01:28 PDT 2014

On Thu Oct 09 2014 at 2:57:14 PM Marc Greim <marc.greim at mytum.de> wrote:

> First of all thanks for your patience and help with my problem.
>
> Your are right i cannot change the code generator (and it may possibly
> even be exchanged with another generator but that is future problem).
>
> Your solution seems right to me in the simple case of the example.
> But I think it fails for me due to the complexity of the generated code
> for 2 reasons:
>         1. The generated code uses macro defines to declare variables. I
> only change some defines but i don't know exactly which variables are
> affected. (still this may be solvable by changing those defines, record the
> variables, change them back and record the use, or record macro expansion
> operations for those cases)

If you know the locations where you change the defines, you can figure out
which variables are affected. Clang has all the information about macro
expansion stored in the AST / the source-manager.

>         2. There may be the case that x is not used directly but together
> with operations(or worse a function call). The resulting type in this case
> would require that I deduct the type of the operator[] parameter for a
> statement under the condition of a changed type of x.

Yep. I'd first look how many of those there are, often, even in > 100MLOC
code bases, there are only a handful of corner cases.

> I think I will give that solution a try, but it seems complex to implement
> and very limited in its ability to accept variations in the generated code.

It seems to me that it allows you to be much more specific in addressing
what you need.

> My hope is still that there is a "keep the node in the ast" solution for
> clang that would allow me to rewrite such a statement based on the
> parameter type without caring about the exact statement within the brackets.

But then the question is how can you be sure that it works afterwards? For
that it seems like you'd need to know the exact information you would get
when analyzing the unchanged code first (which is why I suggested that).