[cfe-dev] Query: Is clang an "Apple product"?

Robinson, Paul Paul_Robinson at playstation.sony.com
Thu Oct 2 10:46:56 PDT 2014

> > Recently someone referred to clang as an Apple product in a
> > discussion thread elsewhere and it seemed odd to me.  I have always
> > thought of clang as an open source project with lots of contributions
> > by Apple, Google and plenty of others.
> Yes.
> >
> > Is it accurate to call clang an Apple product, or does the clang team
> No.
> > feel that this is a misnomer?
> Yes.
> >
> > Just curious :)

In the interest of pedantic hair-splitting:

Apple delivers a version of clang (as part of Xcode?) and it's not unheard
of for a vendor to include proprietary changes (I don't know whether Apple
does this).  In that sense the clang-that-Apple-delivers could be reasonably
considered an "Apple product."

However, clang-in-general is not an "Apple product."
--paulr