[cfe-dev] Getting Involved

David Blaikie dblaikie at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 14:18:58 PDT 2014

On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 1:55 PM, andy lawrence <ajlawrence at acm.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am interested in getting involved in the development of clang. I was
> thinking I liked the sound of the following project from the project list:
>
> *Implement an tool to generate code documentation*
>
> Could someone suggest a place to start with this? I have just checked out
> llvm and clang and am about to build them but where should I go from there?

I'd start by looking at the -Wdocumentation warning, which can warn on
malformed doxygen comments. Jump into clang with a debugger and break on
whatever the code is that prints stuff to the console (you could start with
printf/puts/whatever - eventually you're likely to find the code printing
warnings/errors) - then walk up the stack to see where the diagnostics are
emitted, how they're examining the AST to learn about the diagnostic
comments, etc.

With that - then consider looking at Clang's Tooling infrastructure to
write a tool that might do /something/ with the comment pieces from the
AST, etc.