[cfe-dev] Allowing '_' as version tuple separator?

Aaron Ballman aaron at aaronballman.com
Wed Oct 1 05:44:02 PDT 2014

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 7:52 PM, jahanian <fjahanian at apple.com> wrote:
> Sure. Our primary interest is in their use in availability/deprecated
> attributes.
>
> An example would be:
> @protocol P
> - (void)proto_method
> __attribute__((availability(macosx,introduced=10_1_0,deprecated=10_2)));
> @end
>
> Instead of:
> @protocol P
> - (void)proto_method
> __attribute__((availability(macosx,introduced=10.1.0,deprecated=10.2)));
> @end
>
> But, 'major[.minor[.subminor]]’ are parsed and ‘.’ are checked for,
> irrespective of their use.
> So, rather than special case for what we need, I am proposing to allow them
> everywhere.

What do you mean by "everywhere?" I'm a bit confused. When I read your
original email, I thought you were talking about changing command line
argument parsing for places where version numbers matter so that _ and
. were interchangeable. Then Doug brought up std::tuple, and now
you're talking about availability attributes. A bit more detailed
scope information about what you are proposing would be useful. :-)

~Aaron