[cfe-dev] RFC: Supporting private module maps for non-framework headers

Argyrios Kyrtzidis kyrtzidis at apple.com
Wed Nov 12 14:53:22 PST 2014

> [...]
>
>> On Nov 11, 2014, at 7:38 PM, Richard Smith <richard at metafoo.co.uk <mailto:richard at metafoo.co.uk>> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 6:49 PM, Argyrios Kyrtzidis <kyrtzidis at apple.com <mailto:kyrtzidis at apple.com>> wrote:

>>> There are some cases of cycles between public/private headers which would be accommodated by a single module build but the primary motivation is that we would like the module public/private interface to be under the same namespace, so you’d do
>>>
>>> 	@import Dispatch;
>>> 	@import Dispatch.Private;
>>>
>>> 	@import Darwin.POSIX.Foo.Bar;
>>> 	@import Darwin.POSIX.Foo.Bar.Private;
>>>
>>> and generally any kind of private extension:
>>>
>>> 	@import Dispatch.SuperCoolButPrivate;
>>>
>>> Do you want / need them to be built as a single module file, or not?
>>

>> As I said, cycles may make things difficult for separate module files, but how are we going to get new submodules under the same module name with separate module files ?
>>
>> Well, the restriction that module files correspond to top-level module names is arbitrary and artificial. (It's also a bad idea for a few reasons. It makes incremental refactoring very hard, for instance, because you're required to have no cycles at any point between things in different top-level modules.)
>>
>> Splitting up the description of how to build a module file across various module maps seems like a very error-prone strategy, especially if you're intending to be able to stop looking before you've read all of the relevant module maps.
>
> I think that the high level parts of my proposal are not dependent on whether we build one .pcm file or multiple ones, this is an implementation detail.
> To be more specific, if we have
>
> module.private.modulemap (extension):
> extern module Dispatch
> module Dispatch.Private {
>   <headers>
> }
>
> module.modulemap:
> module Dispatch {
>   <headers>
> }
>
> It is an implementation detail whether we buiild one Dispatch.pcm file or a Dispatch.Private.pcm file that depends on another Dispatch.pcm; it should make no difference on user code.
> Is this incorrect ?
>
> Whether we build one .pcm or multiple is observable in some circumstances. 1) We concatenate together all the header files built as part of one .pcm file, and parse them all at once, and that is not always semantically equivalent to building them in two separate passes. 2) If you have one big Dispatch.pcm file which also contains the private bits, and by any sequence of events you end up also pulling in another Dispatch.pcm that contains the public headers but not the private ones, you may get ambiguity errors. 3) We do not allow circular references across .pcm files but do allow them within a .pcm file.

(2) is a bug.

> If your Dispatch.Private is simply a layer on top of Dispatch, then building them as two separate .pcm files seems like the right choice; it keeps your Dispatch module (for want of a better word) modular. If on the other hand, you need includes/imports in Dispatch to pull in headers / submodules from Dispatch.Private, then one big Dispatch .pcm is probably the right answer, and we'd need something like your proposal so we could say "here is a Dispatch module that's like the one in /usr/include but different in the following ways”.
>
> (Whichever of these options we pick, we can make the "@import Dispatch.Private" syntax do the right thing.)

In both cases we would need to extend module map parsing to allow submodule extensions. I think the original proposal accommodates that with the possible need that once clang supports separating a top module to different pcm files that we may need to control whether there is a combined module file or multiple ones.
Given that separating a top module in multiple pcm files is a rather intrusive change and the combined pcm file is sufficient for our needs, I’d like to proceed for now with the extending module map functionality which will result in one top level .pcm file. Is this reasonable ?