[cfe-dev] RFC: Supporting private module maps for non-framework headers

Richard Smith richard at metafoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 10 19:48:19 PST 2014

On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 4:00 PM, Argyrios Kyrtzidis <kyrtzidis at apple.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> For frameworks Clang currently supports adding a separate module map file
> for the private headers of the framework. It looks specifically for the
> presence of ‘module.private.modulemap’ inside the .framework and parses
> both the public and the private module maps when it processes its module.
> We would like to extend support for private module maps for non-framework
> headers as well.
>
> In the Darwin platform, the public SDK headers are located in
> '/usr/include', while the associated private SDK headers are located in
> '/usr/local/include’. '/usr/local/include’ comes before '/usr/include’ in
> the header search paths.

I worry that this will be fragile. If for any reason we look in
/usr/include but not in /usr/local/include, we'll not load the private
extension map and things will probably go quite badly from that point
onwards. If the presence of the /usr/local/include headers is a fundamental
part of a /usr/include module, then it seems better to me to specify that
within the /usr/include module map.

So here's one possibility: allow 'extern module' declarations to be nested
within other modules, then write your /usr/include module map as:

module MyModule {
  <...>
  extern module SomethingPrivate "/usr/local/include/module.private.map"
}

(in addition to the other changes you suggest here). Then only allow a
module to be extended if the extension is listed via an 'extern module' in
the definition of the module.

We propose to make the following changes to Clang’s module mechanism: