[cfe-dev] Consumed analysis resets its state in between CFG blocks

Jordan Rose jordan_rose at apple.com
Mon May 5 10:29:36 PDT 2014

On May 5, 2014, at 10:27 , Manuel Klimek <klimek at google.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 6:49 PM, Jordan Rose <jordan_rose at apple.com> wrote:
> Neither of these are part of the analyzer; they're part of the analysis-based warnings in Clang. libClangAnalysis is the common base between the two, which is why we have to be careful about the CFG, but the full analyzer infrastructure isn't going to be the answer.
>
> What would be "full analyzer infrastructure" here? The REGISTER_MAP_WITH_PROGRAMSTATE part?

ProgramState at all. The analysis-based warnings track their own state in more lightweight structures, and aren't usually following paths anyway.

> "A new block may only be started if there is control flow" probably is not enforced, but I'm not sure why we wouldn't do that. ("control flow" doesn't have to mean a C/C++ notion of control flow; it can be something like the static variable DeclStmt that clients of the CFG can use to decide where execution goes next.)
>
> I'm aware control flow doesn't necessarily mean C/C++ control flow.
> Here's my reasons why we might not want to have that invariant.
> 1. if I remember correctly I have already seen blocks that don't have terminators that just flow into a single other block (I'll try to fish one out if you're curious); so I was surprised to see other places basically assert in a comment that this is an assumed invariant
> 2. it seems that sometimes having the CFG be more uniform regarding different related patterns might be nice (although I see that it is a very very weak argument)
> 3. it might just be too hard to assert the invariant, in which case I'd say it's better to explicitly say it's *not* an invariant than to let checks or cfg-based compiler checks rely on it

I guess it's not. After an if-statement, both branches have to transition to the same block, of course. I'm not sure what I was thinking, nor am I sure what the comment was getting at.

Jordan