[cfe-dev] Inline attribute

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Sun Mar 23 11:28:22 PDT 2014

On 23 March 2014 17:42, Richard Smith <richard at metafoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Adding support for this is possible, but
> it's a poorly-designed feature, especially when it interacts with C++ (the
> attribute is *not* part of the canonical type, and GCC silently ignores it
> in lots of places),

The worse I can think of here is name mangling, but that is "solved"
in GCC, AFAIK, by simply ignoring it and letting the user deal with
the issues.

I don't like this approach either, but there could be maybe a
compatibility mode where this would be accepted?

That said, I don't think this code is fantastic, and the extra line
adds nothing to the source or the generated output, so it could very
well be changed in the source.

> so I'd be somewhat hesitant. We could probably support
> it in the operand of __alignof__ as a special case.

This sounds as poor decision as ignoring alignment mangling, and not
directly relevant to the problem at hand.

cheers,
--renato