[cfe-dev] Support for multiple OpenMP runtimes in Clang

"C. Bergström" cbergstrom at pathscale.com
Thu Mar 13 07:17:46 PDT 2014

On 03/13/14 09:15 PM, Giuseppe Tagliavini wrote:
> Currently Clang support to OpenMP pragma directives is limited to a single runtime, that is Intel OpenMP Runtime Library.
>
> I am member of a research group focused on hw/sw design of embedded systems, and for many years we have used the API exposed by GNU libgomp to build OpenMP-compliant libraries for several embedded architectures.
> Consequently,  we are planning to modify codegen classes of Clang in order to support the ligomp API used in our projects.
>
> I have a couple of questions about this topic.
>
> 1. As far as you know, is there any work in progress to support libgomp?
> 2. What do you think about introducing an intermediate layer in Clang codegen module, with the aim to target different OpenMP runtimes (for example by using a compilation flag)?
Not to avoid or push back against your question, but why not port the
Intel OpenMP runtime which is officially part of clang now? Is there a
specific feature in the GNU rt? Just a blind comment, but I expect
Intel's runtime and engineers to care a lot about performance.

They even posted a minimal porting guide on the openmp list (I can
forward it)

source
git clone http://llvm.org/git/openmp.git