[cfe-dev] Inconsistent use of /can not/ and /cannot/ in dignostics

Richard Smith richard at metafoo.co.uk
Fri Mar 7 14:08:39 PST 2014

On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 12:04 PM, Ismail Pazarbasi <
ismail.pazarbasi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> diagnostics messages have both "cannot" and "can not" forms. I think
> we should choose one, and stick with it. Quick Google search suggests
> that "cannot" is preferred. Do you have any objections to change "can
> not" to "cannot"?

+1.

"can not" is often ambiguous -- "X can not Y" can mean either "it is not
the case that X is able to Y", or "X has the ability to not Y". In the
former case (which is probably the only case that occurs in our
diagnostics), I think we should use "cannot" to remove the ambiguity, and
in the latter case (if it occurs) we should rephrase to avoid "can not".