[cfe-dev] Clang Static Checker Library Detection Problems

Anna Zaks ganna at apple.com
Thu Jun 26 10:04:31 PDT 2014

> On Jun 25, 2014, at 12:43 PM, Alexandros Tzannes <tzannes at cs.umd.edu> wrote:
>
> Hey all,
> I am writing a custom static checker in Clang and I get an unexpected behavior with #include directives. Say I have a simple hello-world main.cpp source code that #includes stdio.h. When I compile a source file with clang without invoking the checker (e.g., clang++ -std=c++11 main.cpp), it compiles as expected. But when I call the checker: clang++ -cc1 -std=c++11 -analyze -analyzer-checker=myChecker main.cpp I get an error  'stdio.h' file not found.

The problem is that when you are calling "clang -cc1", you are not going through the driver: http://clang.llvm.org/docs/FAQ.html

You should not call "clang -cc1 -analyze", but instead use either scan-build or "clang -std=c++11 --analyze main.cpp". You can pass "-Xclang -analyzer-checker=myChecker" to the driver to make sure it runs your checker. The main difference would be that it will run the other analyzer checkers as well. (Note that you should ALWAYS run analyzer checkers from core package - they are necessary for the analyzer's path sensitive reasoning.)

Hope this helps,
Anna.