[cfe-dev] Clang 3.5 Release Pre-Pre-Pre-Announcement

Gabriel Dos Reis gdr at integrable-solutions.net
Thu Jun 5 19:38:32 PDT 2014

On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 4:19 PM, Richard <legalize at xmission.com> wrote:

> In article <
> CAAiZkiBftmmwAu_2hE21SN3heyB4NffosM9mNeJyU46_v+OciA at mail.gmail.com>,
>     Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr at integrable-solutions.net> writes:
>
> > The problem was that I expected after running cmake with
> > -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release to have the project files generated only for a
> > Release build type.  It turns out CMake does not do that.
>
> Actually, it *would* do this if you were generating a Makefile.

Exactly; hence my original expectations for the project files.

A "portable" tool with non-portable semantics for exactly the same input is
how we create confusions in the C and C++ lands :-)

Hopefully Yaron's amendment to the docs will go live at some point.

>  As I
> understand it, the Makefiles generated by CMake don't allow for building
> multiple configurations from the same Makefile.  You either generate a
> Release Makefile or a Debug Makefile.

If it was going to do that (which it does), at least it should be setting
the default configuration to what is specified on the command line.

> VS (and probably Xcode) projects support multiple configurations from
> the same generated project, so CMake generates all the configurations.

I have nothing against generating several configuration in the same project
file; however, the default (configuration) should match what is specified.