[cfe-dev] Clang 3.5 Release Pre-Pre-Pre-Announcement

Richard legalize at xmission.com
Tue Jun 3 17:18:34 PDT 2014

In article <CAB8jPhdBfyyoY5=Vrnd5P67CpR4xk2SWRXaO7Tx6m0cnJotdHw at mail.gmail.com>,
    Hans Wennborg <hans at chromium.org> writes:

> I think /MT is right for the prebuilt binaries.

There are varying opinions on this.  If you link to the runtime
statically for executables, then you don't have to figure out how to
distribute the runtime.  (Although this can be as simple as
distributing the runtime DLL in your install directory and possibly
including an application manifest.)

> For the libraries, I'm
> not so sure. I'm not familiar with how libraries are usually shipped
> on Windows.

For open source projects on our team, we compile in 4 variants:

- 32-bit debug
- 32-bit release
- 64-bit debug
- 64-bit release

We compile everything as static libraries.  Debug static libraries use
the debug C++ runtime.  Release static libraries use the release C++
runtime.  We use the dynamic C++ runtime throughout.

When you compile boost, it can build all the variants and you end up
with a bunch of libraries.

> Maybe the right thing to do is to ship the toolchain and SDK as
> different packages?

I think this is a reasonable idea.

I was trying to figure out how to do that in CMake and my CMake-fu
isn't quite up to snuff yet, so I haven't been able to contribute a
patch.

> That would save on download time for those who
> just want the toolchain, and we can figure out what the optimal build
> settings are for the library separately.

I'm not concerned about download time[*], but more concerned about making
sure that a usable collection of headers and libraries are available
to avoid making people spend >30mins on an 8-core machine to produce
a 9 GB build tree just to be able to experiment with a refactoring
tool.  The lower we can make the bar for participation, the more
participation we can get and as a community start building the
refactoring tools we want.

[*] This concern may be reasonable, but it's not one I care about :-).