[cfe-dev] Clang 3.5 Release Pre-Pre-Pre-Announcement

Kim Gräsman kim.grasman at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 22:28:15 PDT 2014

Hi Hans,

On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 1:09 AM, Hans Wennborg <hans at chromium.org> wrote:
> On Sat, May 17, 2014 at 6:16 PM, Richard <legalize at xmission.com> wrote:
>>
>> In article <CAB8jPhdE5mE8v=OVw3A4N2cxLNNhZTdisbTnaMUkxD+erizs+Q at mail.gmail.com>,
>>     Hans Wennborg <hans at chromium.org> writes:
>>
>>> OK, maybe we should try shipping without LLVM_INSTALL_TOOLCHAIN_ONLY.
>>> It grows the installer from 25 MB to 115 MB, but Reid pointed out that
>>> the release on Linux is actually even larger, so maybe it's ok.
>>
>> I bought a copy of "Mastering CMake" and read it so I could understand
>> clang/llvm's build.  I understand it enough that I think I could try
>> creating an "SDK" installer that would be for developers using either
>> libclang or the C++ API.
>>
>>> If we think this is what we want to do, I can build next week's
>>> snapshot this way, and maybe Richard can try it out and see if
>>> building a tool with that works?
>>
>> I'm very willing to test that.
>
> Sorry for the delay. Here's a snapshot that was built without
> LLVM_INSTALL_TOOLCHAIN_ONLY:
> http://llvm.org/builds/downloads/LLVM-3.5.r209120-win32.exe
>
> Please let me know if that works.

I just downloaded this yesterday to try an out-of-tree build of a
Clang tool on Windows. I ran into two surprises:

- All LLVM/Clang libraries seem to be statically linked to the
Microsoft CRT (i.e. /MT instead of the default /MD), so I had to
modify my standalone CMakeLists.txt to also set /MT.
- The default target triple for the resulting tool turned out to be
"i686-pc-windows-gnu" instead of "i686-pc-windows-msvc" that I get
when I build in-tree with Ninja+MSVC. I'm assuming this is because the
posted LLVM binaries are built under MinGW. Unfortunately, this
shortcircuits all default include paths. Is there a way for me to
override the default triple from the build system?

I'm going to look into including the relevant CMake modules from
$llvmroot/share/llvm/cmake so as to avoid duplicating settings.

Thanks for doing this, it's really nice to have an LLVM/Clang SDK
release available!

- Kim