[cfe-dev] Porting to a new target

Daniel Dilts diltsman at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 15:21:19 PDT 2014

I am not certain if this question is better suited for cfe-dev or
cfe-users, so I am starting here.

I am looking at using Clang to compile to a target that currently has no
support.  Actual target isn't important, so much as that it isn't currently
supported and I am trying to learn the process of retargeting from the
ground up.

Obviously, a big step (first?) step is writing a backend for the new
target.  After that it is necessary to get the C and C++ runtimes working.
After that it shouldn't be too hard to get the C and C++ standard libraries
working.

What pieces are needed for the who processes?  My guess would be the
following:

1. Compiler (Clang and LLVM)
2. C++ library (libc++)
3. C library (PDCLib?)
4. ABI (libc++abi)

Am I missing anything?  Are the C and C++ runtimes part of the ABI or are
they a different piece?  Also, what C library would people recommend using?