[cfe-dev] Proposal for an ABI testsuite for clang

Nico Weber thakis at chromium.org
Thu Jul 3 12:43:18 PDT 2014

Hi Sunil,

looks cool. The included test file example looks "llvm-y" to me :-) A few
questions:

1.) How much of your 400 test files is from the manual abi method, how much
from your test case generator?
2.) Test runtime probably scales fairly well with the number of cores,
right? You say it takes one hour to run on one core, so an 8-core system
should take less than 10 minutes?
3.) How many bugs did you find with this so far?

(I tend to be somewhat cautious about programs that generate exhaustive
tests and then compare the results to golden files. In my experience, they
tend to take a long time to run since they generate many "not interesting"
test cases, and when changing something one has to update many golden files
and then it's easy to miss undesired changes. For an ABI test suite, the
golden files will hopefully not change often though.

I like the approach taken during clang/win bringup: They wrote fuzzers to
generate lots of test cases, and then checked in hand-reduced versions of
the test cases that turned out to be interesting, using the regular clang
testing architecture.)

Nico