[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] Status of SEH?

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Thu Jan 30 21:16:58 PST 2014

<responding to llvmdev too>

On Jan 30, 2014, at 4:08 PM, Alp Toker <alp at nuanti.com> wrote:
>> There are roughly no open source projects where the
>> rule is "talk about patents all you like on random development mailing
>> lists"
>
> Your remarks suggest that you've worked on a limited range of projects without the perspective it takes to accurately word a developer policy like this for an international audience.

I agree, we absolutely need to be more clear about this on the developer policy.

The problem with discussion on the mailing list is twofold: 1) for almost everyone (myself included), patent discussion is *speculation*, because they are not qualified patent attorneys.  Patent law doesn't make sense, and applying logic to it only makes things worse.  2) when patents get discussed, invariably people get irritated about the state of the patent system and the discussion spirals off in an off-topic and destructive direction.

I'd rather that the community stay productive and focused on technical matters, while people who understand this discuss it off-list.  It also happens that this specific topic is one that is well understood by people who care a lot about such things.

> I can't stand by while new contributors receive abuse for some violation of a rule that's not even written in the LLVM developer policy.

Yes, the policy needs to be more clear.

> What next, turn people away because they have a funny name? Reject patches because their skin color is different to yours? I'm disappointed that you've tried to defend what is clearly repeated and inexcusable behaviour by Chandler towards people who are graciously trying to help out. In so far as there is a community, we must stand up distance ourselves from behaviour like that.

We're all friends here.  Harassment will not be tolerated, and I'm sorry if you took the responses about this issue that way.  You're absolutely right that the policy should be made crystal clear, and that future instances of this can be handled simply by pointing to the policy.  I don't speak for Chandler, but I'm pretty sure that he didn't mean to drive anyone away - he was just being a little over-eager in enforcing the poorly documented policy we have.

-Chris