[cfe-dev] Sanitizers libs in Compiler-RT

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Thu Jan 30 11:07:14 PST 2014

Hi all,

Can anyone explain me what was the rationale behind putting the sanitizer
libraries in compiler-rt?

The sanitizers only work properly in x86_64 and I don't see anyone even
testing to any other platform, while compiler-rt should be a substitute for
libgcc on all platforms, at least that's the goal, and linking the success
of the RT library to the success of the sanitizers is a bit of an
oversight, IMHO.

I'm spending 99% of the time to make compiler-rt compiler on ARM using
CMake by fiddling the sanitizers' tests, lit config files and CMake
scripts, which is a bit annoying...

Long term, would it be possible / desirable to split them into compiler-rt
and sanitizer-rt?

cheers,
--renato