[cfe-dev] Why clang needs to fork into itself?

Yuri yuri at rawbw.com
Wed Jan 29 03:18:36 PST 2014

On 01/29/2014 02:57, Yury Gribov wrote:
> I'm not sure e.g. exec calls realloc and I'm not sure what kinds of
> crazy stuff CreateProcess may want to do behind your back.

Create process calls (clone or fork) never call realloc, they are atomic
system calls. They don't do any crazy stuff. Same should be true on
windows. But, in the suggested way no additional process creation is
required.

>> Using kernel methods directly.
>
> What about Windows?

Windows also has system calls.

One can reliably execute some limited functionality after crash,
provided it doesn't use stateful functions from libc and memory allocation.

Yuri