[cfe-dev] unit-tests for standalone clang

NAKAMURA Takumi geek4civic at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 20:36:06 PST 2014

I suppose I introduced (2). In clang/CMakeLists.txt,

      set(UNITTEST_DIR ${LLVM_MAIN_SRC_DIR}/utils/unittest)
      if(EXISTS ${UNITTEST_DIR}/googletest/include/gtest/gtest.h
          AND NOT EXISTS
          AND EXISTS ${UNITTEST_DIR}/CMakeLists.txt)
        add_subdirectory(${UNITTEST_DIR} utils/unittest)

It'd be my fault if it didn't work.

I don't know your prerequisites. Let me know your configurations.
I guess the build tree were confused about gtest among llvm binary
tree, llvm source tree and distro's gtest.

I think it'd be good thing if our unittests would work with public gtest.


2014-01-29 Saleem Abdulrasool <compnerd at compnerd.org>:
> When building a standalone clang (which I believe most of us don't do, I
> certainly do not do this when developing), I noticed a build failure and
> fixed the particular issue in the build (SVN r200096).
> I agree with David here that if we are supporting a standalone build, we
> should ensure that it works correctly and builds identically (as much as
> possible) to the non-standalone version so that we do not end up
> accidentally introducing subtle bugs into the build.
> Digging further into the issue (thanks dblakie!) it seems that the problem
> is exhibited due to a small change to the bundled copy of google-test in the
> LLVM repository.  That change was made in 2009 by Jeffery (SVN r81093) to
> assist in printing out types more conveniently by adapting std::ostream to
> LLVM's raw_ostream.
> We have a few options here:
> 1) have gtest be part of the installed LLVM image
> 2) duplicate gtest into clang
> 3a) remove the change to google-test and adapt the unit-tests appropriately
> (which is what I did in the previously mentioned change for the cases that I
> found).
> 3b) move the required machinery for supporting google-test into libSupport.
> I wanted to bring this up on this list in order to facilitate a discussion
> to determine the best course of action.
> My personal preference would be for 3a.  We should adapt the tests to
> perform the necessary conversions to print out information as necessary.
> This would also help reduce divergence from googletest which is a bonus IMO.
> --
> Saleem Abdulrasool
> compnerd (at) compnerd (dot) org

More information about the cfe-dev mailing list