[cfe-dev] Why clang needs to fork into itself?

Philip Reames listmail at philipreames.com
Tue Jan 28 16:29:28 PST 2014

On 1/28/14 12:23 PM, Yuri wrote:
> On 01/28/2014 12:11, Ted Kremenek wrote:
>> Clang forking itself remains quite useful for getting test cases for
>> crashers.  If the forked clang crashes the parent clang process tries
>> to generate a preprocessed source to serve as a test case.  We have
>> found this to be invaluable for users to file useful test cases.
>
> This is not the point. The point is why make it always watch for crash
> when it happens very rarely? If the crash occurred, one can always
> rerun with the special option and get the same report.
Crashes tend to happen rarely, in the field, and not for developers with
debuggers ready.  That's why you need all the help debugging them you
can get.  :)

Frankly, I don't understand the concern with the mechanism to start
with.  Given that several mechanisms for debugging have already been
discussed on this thread, what is your motivation for removing it?
Unless you have a very good one, I would be highly reluctant to consider
removing the fork guard.

Philip