[cfe-dev] Why clang needs to fork into itself?

Ted Kremenek kremenek at apple.com
Tue Jan 28 14:10:57 PST 2014

On Jan 28, 2014, at 1:00 PM, Yuri <yuri at rawbw.com> wrote:

> On 01/28/2014 12:34, Ted Kremenek wrote:
>> No user is going to do that.  What do we really gain here by removing this functionality?
>
> ???
> So you mean they will just live with the crash?
>
> Yuri

The few million users of Clang that I deal with never invoke the compiler directly from the command line.  Most of them probably don’t know how to.  The use the compiler from an IDE.  That can, however, look at a build log and see that a crash report was generated for them, including a shell script that can be provided in a bug report that reruns the compiler with the correct arguments to reproduce the crash.