[cfe-dev] error: unknown argument: '-ffoo' => reason ?

Sylvestre Ledru sylvestre at debian.org
Tue Jan 21 18:35:12 PST 2014

On 21/01/2014 03:23, Rafael EspĂ­ndola wrote:
> On 20 January 2014 18:18, Sylvestre Ledru <sylvestre at debian.org> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am working on the processing of the rebuild of Debian using clang 3.4.
>> I noticed that 159 packages are failing because on this simple call of
>> clang:
>> $ clang -fno-check-new  -c foo.c
>> clang: error: unknown argument: '-fno-check-new'
>>
>> I was wondering if there is a reason why this is an error and not a warning.
> Mostly tidiness. GCC (and every other command line tool really) errors
> on unknown options.
>
> We do try to ignore GCC options that are safe to ignore, so a patch
> ignoring the ones that are causing you trouble is probably fine.

OK. Thanks for the information.

There are quite some items with their occurrences:
      2 '-falign-jumps=2'
      2 '-fcheck-new'
     33 '-fexcess-precision=standard'
      2 '-fforce-addr'
      2 '-ffriend-injection'
      2 '-fgcse-after-reload'
      6 '-finline-limit='
      2 '-finput-charset=UTF-8'
      6 '-fno-check-new'
     40 '-fno-defer-pop'
      4 '-fno-delete-null-pointer-checks'
      1 '-fno-implement-inlines'
      1 '-fno-tree-ter'
     11 '-fno-tree-vrp'
      4 '-frename-registers'
      2 '-frerun-loop-opt'
      2 '-fsingle-precision-constant'
      2 '-fstack-check'
      2 '-fuse-linker-plugin'
      2 '-fvar-tracking'
      7 '-gnatea'
      2 '-gnatec=foo'
      2 '-malign-double'
      2 '-malign-jumps=1'
      4 '-print-multiarch'
      4 '-z'

Do you think I should ignore (all/most) them?

Thanks,