[cfe-dev] Type trait primitives and feature detection

Richard Smith richard at metafoo.co.uk
Sun Jan 19 15:39:21 PST 2014

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 8:42 AM, Alp Toker <alp at nuanti.com> wrote:

> Hello Marshall, Howard,
>
> As promised I've had a look at what it'd take to get consistent feature
> detection support for the type trait primitives.
>
> Like I mentioned at the end of last year, there are years of detritus and
> while we don't know why some of these traits are even here, but we can
> certainly do better to document and enable their detection in user code.
>
> My first observation is that __has_feature() is intended to indicate
> mature support for broad language standards. As such, it was the wrong
> place to list type trait primitives in the first place because:
>
> 1) __has_feature(is_trivially_constructible) suggests that the complete
> feature is available, whereas in fact clang is just exposing an internal
> primitive that the standard C++ library may choose to use or ignore.
> Indeed, as in the case of Microsoft or Embarcadero type traits, libc++ may
> choose not to provide the feature directly or implement it a different way,
> so it's wrong for __has_feature() to make this claim to user code.
>
> 2) The __has_feature() list is manually maintained and indicates mature
> support for complete standards and major features. History has shown that
> the list won't be kept up to date for anything other than core C++
> features, mainly because it's hard to track.
>
> On the other hand, there's __has_builtin() which is currently used to list
> support for builtin functions. This list _is_ kept up to date dynamically
> based on the exact builtin functions currently enabled.
>
> Unfortunately this list never included type trait primitives because
> they're handled slightly differently internally (and aren't redeclarable,
> for example). But in reality, they're just two forms of function-like
> builtins so they'd do well to share the same feature detection. Some GNU
> builtins functions like __builtin_types_compatible_p() are even implemented
> directly as type trait primitives today in clang.
>
> My proposal is to expose automatic feature discovery for type trait
> primitives by plugging into the __has_builtin() system. This means there
> will no longer be a custom list to maintain and you'll always know what's
> supported by the clang version parsing your code.
>
> With this proposal, we'd freeze the current (very incomplete) list of type
> trait primitives in __has_feature() and set it on a long path to
> deprecation, never adding to it by hand.
>
> For compatibility, you'd define a support macro along the following lines
> to always get an accurate impression of builtin type trait primitive
> support:
>
> #define _libcpp_has_trait(x) (__has_builtin(x) || __has_feature(x))
>
> Does this sound like it'll make life easier for libc++? If so, I'll put up
> the patch shortly!

No comment on the libc++ point of view, but from Clang's perspective,
exposing these through __has_builtin rather than __has_feature, and
generating the checks automatically (and removing the documentation, but
not the implementation, of the __has_feature checks), seems like the right
thing to me. Thanks!