[cfe-dev] [Openmp-dev] [LLVMdev] Future of the LLVM OpenMP runtime

Rick Mann rmann at latencyzero.com
Thu Feb 27 19:15:49 PST 2014

On Feb 27, 2014, at 19:03 , C. Bergström <cbergstrom at pathscale.com> wrote:

> On 02/28/14 04:20 AM, Rick Mann wrote:
>> Tangentially related, I have a question:
>>
>> I don't know, well, anything about how OpenMP is implemented. But does it make sense to use Grand Central Dispatch on platforms that support it (instead of, I assume, pthreads)?
> We played with implementing OpenMP 3.x tasks on top of libdispatch and while we got it to work - there was some scalability of the scheduling across a lot of cores which would probably need to be addressed. For systems with 4-8 cores I doubt it would ever cause a significant problem though.

That's good news. Currently I need OpenMP support in Xcode because I'm incorporating code my colleagues wrote that uses it into the iOS app I write. We have yet to exceed four cores on an iOS device, so that should be okay. Perhaps the runtime can conditionally build to use GCD when targeting iOS or OS X (assuming there's a compelling reason, performance or energy, to do so).

--
Rick