[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] Future of the LLVM OpenMP runtime

Alp Toker alp at nuanti.com
Tue Feb 25 16:32:24 PST 2014

On 25/02/2014 23:58, Rick Mann wrote:
> On Feb 25, 2014, at 15:13 , Alp Toker <alp at nuanti.com> wrote:
>
>> Now that we've kick-started the LLVM OpenMP runtime discussion, I want to make a concrete proposal to get a test suite up and running for the LLVM OpenMP runtime. I don't think the current setup as an LLVM subproject is sustainable going forward without some form of testing support, automated or otherwise.
>> Alp.
> I work at a small start up that writes a lot of computationally-intensive code. The guys who work on that use OpenMP, but they're primarily targeting our Linux-based servers, and typically build with GCC. However, a big chunk of that code also goes into the iOS app that I'm responsible for, and thus OpenMP support is very much something we desire.
>
> Using macros that either use OpenMP or GCD, we addressed our biggest hot spots, but only for a very particular class of OpenMP constructs. I'd love to see it fully integrated into Xcode.

Hi Rick,

Keep in mind that LLVM integration doesn't imply or even indicate Xcode
support, but you're right, pulling things together is a step in the
right direction. Achieving a complete stack is likely to encourage the
ongoing effort towards OpenMP language support in the clang frontend as
well.

> Not sure how much I can help, but if you want me to try to build our stuff with it as it moves forward, let me know. Mostly I just wanted to voice my support for the effort.

As for trying it out, I suspect the infrastructure isn't quite there yet
to respond to bug reports if you hit issues (no bugs reports or fixes
have been made yet since the runtime project launched) but James Cownie
might be able to answer better.

It's easy to build and there haven't been success/failure reports in
public yet so sure, if you have a minute to try the runtime with gcc or
icc that could be useful!

Thanks
Alp.

--