[cfe-dev] C++11 in LLVM/Clang - NOT YET!

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Thu Feb 20 15:28:27 PST 2014

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 2:41 PM, Renato Golin <renato.golin at linaro.org>wrote:

> Folks,
>
> There has been quite a lot of C++11 commits breaking builds and bots
> around, and I'd like to remember everyone that we still haven't
> changed the buildbots to handle the new standard.
>
> Please, *do NOT* use C++11 until *all* first-class target buildbots
> have been changed to use -std=c++11.
>
> People have worked towards support in autoconf and CMake but I still
> haven't seen an email clearing the way, and I think we all should just
> wait until such an email comes before *any* C++11 dependent feature
> comes in.
>
> I have heard on IRC that there were some issues with versions of
> libstdc++, which even with C++11 supporting compilers things were
> still failing. We need to clear those up, first.

And just to give a concrete "next step", I'm trying to clear my "day job"
list of things to do, at which point fixing the last of these will be at
the top of my stack. The primary thing is to document *exactly* how to get
a correct hosting environment set up on Linux/BSDs for use after this
switch, some basic guidelines about what C++11 features to use, and then
switch-flipping.