[cfe-dev] Adding "simd" pragma to Clang

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Mon Feb 17 04:05:59 PST 2014

On 17 February 2014 11:46, "C. Bergström" <cbergstrom at pathscale.com> wrote:
> What about trying to extend OMP pragma to cleanly fit your goals?

So, for this first implementation, I'm trying to steer away from
re-inventing the wheel. GCC does implement some of the Cilk/OMP4, and
will continue in that direction, so at least, even if it's old-school,
we'll get similar behaviour.

> Cilk is far from any standard, not used in the real world(???) and fairly
> tied to Intel. (I'm not apposed to this, but something to think about)

GCC implements some of them.

There's no reason why we can't extend OMP to deal with whatever we
think we should, but that effort is very long term, and would be good
to have something right now working that wouldn't be Clang-specific. I
don't see how that's not good.

Whatever we do in the long term should not hold implementing a
user-visible way to use our current metadata, even if temporary. But
we all know that "temporary" means in software, so I wouldn't like to
invent a "temporary hack" before OMP gets all we need (which I still
don't know what it is, completely). Using old common pragmas seem to
me the cleanest way of doing this.

cheers,
--renato