[cfe-dev] Clang and packing/unmacking struts uses as arguments/return values

David Chisnall David.Chisnall at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Feb 17 03:04:14 PST 2014

On 17 Feb 2014, at 10:39, Renato Golin <renato.golin at linaro.org> wrote:

> The complexity of implementing all that in the back-ends would be too
> huge (at least a huge change, now), to do so effectively. Maybe with
> some refactoring going on the selection dag, etc we might get that
> streamlined, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

We've talked in the past about having some ABI builders, factoring out the code in Clang so that you'd have a generic library that could construct LLVM types from C types, construct calls to LLVM functions from C types, and extract IR values that directly correspond to C types after calls.

As far as I know, no one has started doing this, but with GSoC season approaching it would make a very useful student project.  I'd happily sign up to mentor it if we had a volunteer...

David