[cfe-dev] Debug Info type optimization based on explicit template instantiation decls/defs

David Chisnall David.Chisnall at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Feb 17 02:00:46 PST 2014

On 17 Feb 2014, at 09:39, C. Bergström <cbergstrom at pathscale.com> wrote:

> I don't know if it fits your use case, but at the cost of flag proliferation - what about adding a flag to control this behavior?
>
> 1) How often is system STL compiled with debugging
> 2) Do users really mix gcc+clang in the wild that often? I can see this being the case for system level things, but for pure userland stuff I suspect they may build the whole stack with clang. (When/if they are using clang)
>
> I'm biased and I doubt my vote counts for much, but I'd go for full optimizations without penalty either by default with a flag to turn it off or a flag which enables it. If I'm reading the above correctly - it would avoid any need to do complex "tests".

I'd agree.  On FreeBSD and OS X, the system compiler is clang and so there's little danger of mixing clang and gcc-compiled code, so we'd rather not pay the penalty, unless the user knows that they are linking against a gcc-compiled library (we're down to around 0.3% of ports not compiling with clang on FreeBSD though, so that's increasingly rare...).

David