[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] Heads-up: changing the structure of compiler-rt source tree

David Chisnall David.Chisnall at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Feb 12 05:23:35 PST 2014

On 12 Feb 2014, at 13:11, Iain Sandoe <iain at codesourcery.com> wrote:

> I would still urge folks to consider keeping distinct functionality in separate places.
>
> Agreed, it makes more sense for the [language agnostic]  unwinder to be in compiler-rt than libcxxabi -- but IMO it makes even more sense for it to be distinct.

The question of the repository it belongs in is separate from the question of how it's built.  In FreeBSD, the code is likely to remain in a library that's called libgcc_s.so or libgcc_eh.a, as that's required for backwards compatibility.

> The bundling of the unwinder with libgcc_s gave us (i.e. 3rd party folks, outside the vendor's organisation) nothing but headaches.  Much happier to see it in libunwind.xxx

I'd be interested to hear what these headaches are, to see if we can avoid them in the future.

David