[cfe-dev] Adding "simd" pragma to Clang

"C. Bergström" cbergstrom at pathscale.com
Mon Feb 10 07:35:22 PST 2014

On 02/10/14 09:48 PM, Renato Golin wrote:
> On 10 February 2014 14:26, Andrey Bokhanko <andreybokhanko at gmail.com> wrote:
>> One possibility is to commit "#pragma omp simd" implementation, which is a
>> part of OpenMP 4 standard
> Hi Andrey,
>
> I see no problems with it. This is not the same as what I proposed
> back then, but really, it's interesting to have anyway. The problems
> you list come from trying to use omp pragmas as standard vectorization
> pragmas, which is not ideal. But if you treat them as just extended
> support for OMP, why not?
>

>> Another possibility is to drop omp prefix -- this removes the downsides
>> mentioned above (and yes, makes the pragma similar to what is proposed in
>> CilkPlus -- not necessarily a bad thing in itself).
> Cilk might be closed to what we had in mind. The pragmas I've seen on Cilk:
>
> #pragma simd
> #pragma vector always
>
> Could enable the three metadata we have already in IR, so if you guys
> could introduce that, it'd be great!
Personally, I'd love to see this as an "experimental" extension to OMP
and work towards getting it in the standard. Having a functional and
open source implementation which gets used in the real world makes for a
strong argument for incorporating it in future releases. The goals are
complementary to OMP and long term it's more simple to have all similar
pragma under one domain/family "omp"